Keep up to date on the global economy and its impact on markets.
Q2 2020 | Capital Markets Outlook
We are looking for progress in public health and credit market indicators as policy responds to the economic shock surrounding the pandemic and efforts to contain it.
- In its third estimate, the Bureau of Economic Analysis reported that GDP decreased at an annual rate of 5.0% in the first quarter.
- Durable goods orders rose 15.8% in May, the Census Bureau stated in an advance report.
- The trade deficit increased in May, the Census Bureau noted in an advance report.
- Wholesale inventories dropped 1.2% in May.
- Initial claims reached 1.48 million in the week ended June 20, 2020, according to the Department of Labor.
- As of June 19, 2020, of the 500 S&P 500 Index companies reporting first-quarter earnings, 329 beat analysts’ estimates, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.
- The Bureau of Economic Analysis found that corporate profits fell 12.3% at a quarterly rate in the first quarter.
- The University of Michigan’s final reading of its index of consumer sentiment rose to 78.1 in June from 72.3 in May.