Keep up to date on the global economy and its impact on markets.
Q1 2021 | Capital Markets Outlook
Amid a likely tug-of-war between positive and negative economic news, we favor investing with a flexible approach.
- Pending home sales fell 2.8% in January compared with December, the National Association of Realtors stated.
- In an advance report, the Census Bureau found that durable goods orders rose 3.4% in January.
- GDP increased at an annual rate of 4.1% in the fourth quarter, according to a second estimate from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Initial jobless claims reached 730,000 in the week ended February 20, 2021, according to the Labor Department.
- As of February 19, 2021, of the 418 S&P 500 Index companies reporting fourth-quarter earnings, 328 beat analysts’ estimates, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.
- The University of Michigan’s index of consumer sentiment fell to 76.8 in February from 79.0 in January.
- The Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index improved in February.