Keep up to date on the global economy and its impact on markets.
Q1 2020 | Capital Markets Outlook
We favor reducing risk as we look for proof that earnings can support asset valuations.
- Pending home sales increased 2.4% in February, the National Association of Realtors reported.
- The trade deficit narrowed in February, the Census Bureau found.
- The ISM Manufacturing PMI fell to 49.1 in March from 50.1 in February.
- Durable goods orders jumped 1.2% in February, according to the Census Bureau.
- Initial jobless claims rose by 3.3 million to 6,648,000 in the week ended March 28, 2020, the Department of Labor reported.
- The U.S. lost 701,000 jobs and the unemployment rate rose to 4.4% in March from 3.5% in February, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported, adding the data did not include many business and school closures in the second half of the month.
- As of March 31, 2020, of the 501 S&P 500 Index companies reporting fourth-quarter earnings, 348 — or 69.4% — beat analysts’ estimates, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.
- The Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index fell sharply in March.