Keep up to date on the global economy and its impact on markets.
Q1 2021 | Capital Markets Outlook
Amid a likely tug-of-war between positive and negative economic news, we favor investing with a flexible approach.
- The CPI rose 0.4% and core CPI increased 0.1% in December, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Import prices rose 0.9% and export prices increased 1.1% in December, the Bureau of labor Stastistics reported.
- Retail sales declined 0.7% in December, according to an advance report from the Census Bureau.
- Initial jobless claims reached 965,000 in the week ended January 9, 2021, according to the Labor Department.
- As of January 7, 2021, of the 18 S&P 500 Index companies reporting fourth-quarter earnings, 18 beat analysts’ estimates, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.
- The NFIB Small Business Optimism Index declined to a below-average level in December.
- The University of Michigan’s index of consumer sentiment dropped to 79.2 in January from 80.7 in December.