BOSTON, May 23, 2022 - Putnam Investments today announced that it will launch three actively managed, transparent exchange-traded funds (ETFs) in the coming months, pending completion of the regulatory filing process.
The new ETFs will each have a distinct investment focus:
- Putnam BDC Income ETF – Business development companies (BDCs)
- Putnam BioRevolutionTM ETF – Companies operating at the intersection of technology and biology in the “biology revolution”
- Putnam Emerging Markets ex-China ETF – Emerging markets companies, excluding investments in China and Hong Kong
“Putnam continues to bolster its product lineup by bringing thoughtful, innovative strategies to the marketplace,” said Robert L. Reynolds, President and Chief Executive Officer, Putnam Investments. “We are excited to offer investors and advisors a dynamic set of investment opportunities, which will be meaningful additions to Putnam’s growing ETF roster.”
The ETF strategies expected to be launched by Putnam in the coming months include:
- Putnam BDC Income ETF – Seeks current income by investing mainly in exchange-traded BDCs based in the U.S. and registered with the SEC. BDCs generally invest in, lend capital to or provide services to privately-held U.S. companies or thinly traded U.S. public companies.
- Putnam BioRevolutionTM ETF – Seeks long-term capital appreciation by investing mainly in common stocks of companies of any size with a focus on those that Putnam believes offer the opportunity to capitalize on a convergence of technological developments in the life sciences sector. These include technology-enabling companies that provide the materials, equipment, and knowledge to enable biology innovations, biotechnology, or synthetic biology companies, as well as companies that operate in industries that are likely to be impacted by the biology revolution over time.
- Putnam Emerging Markets ex-China ETF – Seeks long term capital appreciation by investing mainly in common stocks of emerging market companies. Emerging markets include countries in the MSCI Emerging Markets ex China Index or those Putnam considers to be emerging markets based on an evaluation of their level of economic development or the size and experience of their securities markets. The ETF will exclude companies domiciled in, or whose stocks are listed for trading on an exchange in, China or in Hong Kong.
“The new ETFs are an extension of Putnam’s equity investment capabilities that apply traditional fundamental research, currently employed in an array of products offered by our firm across retail mutual funds, ETFs, separately managed accounts, collective investment trusts, private funds and non-U.S. funds,” Forcione continued.
Putnam launched its first four active ETFs in May 2021: Putnam Focused Large Cap Growth ETF; Putnam Focused Large Cap Value ETF; Putnam Sustainable Future ETF; and Putnam Sustainable Leaders ETF.
About Putnam Investments
Founded in 1937, Putnam Investments is a global money management firm with over 80 years of investment experience. At the end of April 2022, Putnam had $180 billion in assets under management. Putnam has offices in Boston, London, Munich, Tokyo, Singapore and Sydney. For more information, visit putnam.com.
NOTE: The registration statement relating to these securities has been filed with the SEC but is not yet effective. These securities may not be sold nor may offers to buy be accepted prior to the time the registration statement becomes effective. This press release is not an offer to sell these securities and is not soliciting an offer to buy these securities in any state where the offer or sale is not permitted.