FOR MEDIA USE ONLY
BOSTON, May 18, 2023 – Putnam Investments today announced the launch of Putnam Emerging Markets ex-China ETF, a new actively managed, transparent exchange-traded fund (ETF) with a distinct investment focus on emerging market companies, excluding investments in China and Hong Kong. The new ETF, which begins trading today on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE Arca: PEMX), is managed by Brian Freiwald.
Putnam Emerging Markets ex-China ETF seeks long-term capital appreciation by focusing on emerging market companies that Putnam believes to have a durable competitive advantage, strong balance sheets and a potential for above-average profitability. As a general matter of investment policy, Putnam Emerging Markets ex-China ETF will invest at least 80% of its net assets in securities of emerging market companies — excluding those domiciled in, or whose stocks are listed for trading on an exchange in, China as well as companies domiciled in Hong Kong.
“We are excited to launch Putnam Emerging Markets ex-China ETF to help advisors and their clients gain important international investing exposure in their portfolios,” said Robert L. Reynolds, President and Chief Executive Officer, Putnam Investments. “In developing our slate of ETF offerings for the marketplace, we have strived to take a strategic and innovative approach in addressing investor needs.”
According to Carlo Forcione, Head of Product and Strategy at Putnam, today’s launch expands the firm’s active ETF roster to a total of twelve offerings. The first four ETFs were introduced in May 2021; two transparent actively managed equity ETFs began trading in September 2022; and five ETFs employing ESG-focused investment strategies were launched in January 2023.
The new ETF joins the firm’s growing and diverse range of actively managed ETF strategies across asset classes and investment styles:
- Putnam BDC Income ETF (NYSE Arca: PBDC)
- Putnam BioRevolutionTM ETF (NYSE Arca: SYNB)
- Putnam Emerging Markets ex-China ETF (NYSE Arca: PEMX)
- Putnam ESG Core Bond ETF (NYSE Arca: PCRB)
- Putnam ESG High Yield ETF (NYSE Arca: PHYD)
- Putnam ESG Ultra Short ETF (NYSE Arca: PULT)
- Putnam Focused Large Cap Growth ETF (NYSE Arca: PGRO)
- Putnam Focused Large Cap Value ETF (NYSE Arca: PVAL)
- Putnam PanAgora ESG Emerging Markets Equity ETF (NYSE Arca: PPEM)
- Putnam PanAgora ESG International Equity ETF (NYSE Arca: PPIE)
- Putnam Sustainable Future ETF (NYSE Arca: PFUT)
- Putnam Sustainable Leaders ETF (NYSE Arca: PLDR)
Freiwald, who serves as portfolio manager for the new ETF, also manages the firm’s other fundamentally oriented emerging markets equity strategies.
About Putnam Investments
Founded in 1937, Putnam Investments is a global money management firm with over 85 years of investment experience. At the end of April 2023, Putnam had $169 billion in assets under management. Putnam has offices in Boston, London, Munich, Tokyo, Singapore and Sydney. For more information, visit putnam.com.